Obstructive sleep apnea associated with high LDL Cholesterol
- There was a dose-response relationship between TC and ODI.
- TG and LDL concentrations were better predicted by AHI than by ODI.
- HDL‐C was significantly reduced in the highest AHI quartile.
- Morbid obesity was associated with lower TC and higher HDL‐C values.
- Lipid status was influenced by geographical location with the highest TC concentration recorded in Northern Europe.
"Our data clearly suggest that sleep apnoea may have a negative impact on lipid levels, which may in part explain the association between sleep apnoea and increased risk for cardiovascular disease," said Dr. Grote. "Patients with sleep apnea, therefore, need careful management of all cardiovascular risk factors including hyperlipidemia."
"Our results demonstrate that OSA severity was independently associated with cholesterol and TG concentrations," concluded the authors.
For more information log on to https://doi.org/10.1111/resp.13372