In a research presented at the American Stroke Association’s International Stroke Conference 2018 the researchers have found that although clot removal was beneficial up to 24 hours following stroke in patients, but every hour delayed after first symptoms may be associated with more disability.This highlights importance of prompt imaging and treatment of patients with clot-caused stroke.In the analysis of patients in 6 to 24 hours after appearance of first symptoms it was also found that each 1-hour delay in clot removal in Stroke reduces recovery chance with respect to minimal disability or no disability at all by 11 percent .
The international DAWN trial previously demonstrated that patients with a small area of irreversible brain damage and a large area of brain at jeopardy of being lost if the clot remains are more likely to recover with minimal disability if the clot is removed up to 24 hours after symptoms begin or were noticed. It is already well-established that the benefit of clot removal declines each hour during the first 6 hours after symptoms are detected.
In the current analysis of treatment between 6 and 24 hours after symptoms were observed, or after the person was last seen to be well, researchers found:
- each 1-hour delay reduces the chance of recovery with minimal or no disability by 11 percent; and
- treatment remains beneficial through 24 hours, with patients who had their clots removed being 35.5 percent more likely to have minimal or no disability 90 days later, but the overall effect of treatment declines with time.
The current results demonstrate the importance of prompt imaging and treatment of patients with clot-caused stroke, even in those who wake up having experienced a stroke or who for other reasons are not identified in the first few hours after the onset of symptoms.
Latest posts by Anjali Nimesh (see all)
- A rare case of Hyperuricemia presenting with white powder oozing from body - July 27, 2018
- CDC’s treatment Guidelines of Chancroid - July 5, 2018
- New method improves aphasia treatment after stroke - July 4, 2018