Center for Disease Control and Prevention has come out with sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) treatment guidelines.These guidelines for the treatment of persons who have or are at risk for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) were updated by CDC in 2015 after consultation with a group of professionals knowledgeable in the field of STDs who met in Atlanta on April 30–May 2, 2013.They have been prepared by the NNPTC, NCSD, and ASTDA, with support from the CDC division of STD prevention.
Center for Disease Control and Prevention Guidelines for Syphilis.
Primary, secondary, early latent (1 year) syphilis:
- Recommended regimen:- Benzathine penicillin G, 2.4 million units IM once.*
- Alternative oral regimens (penicillin-allergic, non pregnant women):- Doxycycline 100 mg orally twice daily for 2 weeks.
Late latent, tertiary, and cardiovascular syphilis:
- Recommended regimen:- Benzathine penicillin G, 2.4 million units IM weekly times 3 doses.
- Alternative oral regimen (penicillin-allergic, non pregnant women):- Doxycycline 100 mg orally twice daily for 4 weeks.**
- Drugs of choice: Penicillin G 3 -4 million units IV every 4 hours or 24 million units continuous IV infusion for 10 – 14 days [or]
- Penicillin G procaine 2.4 million units IM daily + probenecid 500 mg 4 times daily oral, both for 10 – 14 days
- ceftriaxone 2 g IV once daily for 10 – 14 days
Drugs of choice:
- Penicillin G 50,000 units/kg every 8-12 hours for 10 -14 days [or]
- Penicillin G procaine 50,000 units/kg IM daily for 10 -14 days
* Some experts recommend a repeat dose after seven days, especially in patients with HIV infection or pregnant women.
**Not recommended in pregnancy.
^patients allergic to penicillin should be desensitized and treated with penicillin.
For Further Reference log on to :
Latest posts by Anjali Nimesh (see all)
- A rare case of Hyperuricemia presenting with white powder oozing from body - July 27, 2018
- CDC’s treatment Guidelines of Chancroid - July 5, 2018
- New method improves aphasia treatment after stroke - July 4, 2018