In a view to minimize the expenditure of medical treatment, the Indian Scientists at the Bhabha Atomic Research Center(BARC) has developed a credit card-sized Tele-ECG machine that is expected to cost only Rs. 4000.
The credit card sized Tele-ECG machine can transmit an ECG over mobile phones, thus enabling the data to be transmitted via mobile network anywhere. The machine also has the advantage of being recharged via a mobile charger
As compared to the commercial machines currently available in the market has cost between Rs 40,000 and Rs 50,000, the Tele-ECG is much more cheaper and easy to use, estimated at a mere cost of Rs 4000.
Speaking about the new invention, Dr Hemant Haldavnekar, a consulting physician, said, “The quality of the ECG is excellent and it has come to me in two to three different formats for me to view and it appears to be normal.”
- Simultaneous acquisition of all the 12-leads
- Low cost, portable and compact
- Variable gain and frequency selection
- Mobile as well as LAN connectivity
- Acquisition, processing, storing and visualization of ECG in real time
- Using a secure GPRS connection for transfer of ECG data to expert mobile
- Lead fail detection
|Principle||:||Bio-potential sensing by surface electrodes|
|Configuration||:||Einthoven 12 Leads, Simultaneous|
|Input Impedance||:||> 10 MW|
|Gain (User Selectable||:||1,2,3,4,6,8 &12|
|:||0.05 – 150 Hz
0.05/0.5 – 40 Hz
0.05 /0.5 – 25 Hz
|Connectivity||:||Mobile-Mobile via MMS
Mobile-PC via internet Unit-Mobile / PC via Bluetooth
|Size||:||3.5”(L) x 2.5”(B)x 0.5”(H) inches|
|Power Input||:||+ 3.7V, 150mAH (min)|
- The Tele-ECG system is of considerable importance for developing countries, where more than 70% of the population inhabits rural areas and has meager access to medical facilities. This large section can now be provided state-of-the-art medical care with such Tele-systems.
- This unit can also be used for personal monitoring for regular follow up.
- The unit has been upgraded for hospital use having Local Area Network.
- Space :
Since this is electronic equipment, it does not require large working space.
~3 to 5 Square Feet area may be more than adequate.
- Man Power :
One Electronics or Instrumentation Engineer for hardware production consisting of Printed circuit board fabrication, assembly & testing of Instrument.
One Computer Engineer for firmware and application software.
- Power Supply :
Standard Li-ion Mobile battery : 3.7V 150mAH (min)
- Test Equipments :
Standard Test & measuring facility for electronic systems like Oscilloscope, DVM, soldering machine etc
- Other Facilities :
Micro-controller Programming and Testing